Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

The stuff that dreams are made of.....you know.....cheese

In February of 2010 I found myself in good company and out of a job. I have been in administrative roles for the last ten years in New York City.  The prospect of returning to this administrative hell had me sinking into both the Pit of Despair and the Swamps of Sorrow. I seem to have a talent for finding Dickensian, loathsome and sadistic bosses...which trust me is putting it politely. Like so many other folks I discov ered that being unemployed was terrifying, thrilling, healing and depressing all at once. My best friend Brett who had been in the exact same position as me bravely turned his back on the financial world to enroll in the French Culinary Institute for pastries. Inspired by his boldness it was clear to me it was time to rethink my goals and my life. When I did my new path began with this simple epiphany:
I want happiness during my whole day not just when I get home.

After a whole lot of thinking and feeling I decided I wanted to open a cheese shop and tasting room. It started out as a nagging joyful whim and over the last two months it has become a full on obsession. With the overwhelming support of my boyfriend James, best friend Brett, sister and parents I have written out a four year plan to realize my dream.

I began this journey by deciding to put my need for cheese education first and applied and received an internship at the "Harvard" of the cheese world- Artisinal Cheese Corporate with Max McCalman. I start my internship tomorrow and can barely sleep I am so excited. In my internship I will be splitting my time between working in the cheese caves and assisting with the classes they host. I will not be paid for this internship but will be allowed to attend all the classes I want which is a prospect almost too joyful for my brain to contain.

One of my mentors there, Matt suggested that I start a cheese journal to discuss what I'm tasting, what I like, what I don't like and I thought that I may as well save a tree and make it a blog. The more cheese enthusiasts I meet the more I realize I am not alone in my need for cheese talk and cheese dreams. This is such a major opportunity and one that I take so very seriously...despite the hairnet. Despite all my fears, my lack of money, my anxiety over paying my electric bill, as of tomorrow I am a cheese tender, a tender of cheeses and damn proud of it.

2 comments:

  1. I love this, I love this, I love this!! You and I are gonna be STAHS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you are!!!! So excited for you to start your cheese-ducation. A room full of cheese is my happy place.

    ReplyDelete